Monday, March 31, 2008

Doing it head first!

Well, I'm doing it. I'm blogging!

I've never blogged so naturally I'm a bit nervous. The first time's always awkward I've heard. The logistics seem a little complicated until you get the hang. But so far so good, right? I think I'm liking it. I hope it's good for you, too.

I guess the best way to do something is just to dive in and figure it out as you go along. At least, that usually seems to be the best way for me. Well, maybe it's really not the best way, but it's the way I seem to always end up doing it so I try to make the best of it. I try to find the purpose in it.

Ah, and there's a purpose to all this awkward blogging, too. The purpose is to journal. Journalling is writing. You see, I really do like to write. I write emails, I write newsletter articles, I write children's plays, and I also write romance novels. Yeah, I know! How cool is that?

I've been at it for a while so I've got a nice little collection of unpublished manuscripts. It starts to get a bit discouraging after a while, let me tell you. But last week a good thing happened.

My most recent manuscript, "Mistaken By Moonlight" finaled in RWA's Golden Heart contest in the Regency Historical category. This is a great honor and a very big deal. It's also turning out to be a very big deal of work. I wasn't expecting that. I've got this to-do list that's growing faster than the pile of laundry in my bedroom, and that's saying a lot, unfortunately.

I've got to get professional photos, I've got to make up some business cards, I've got to get a list of places to send press releases, I've got to re-polish the manuscript in case an editor actually wants to see the whole thing, and I've got to establish some sort of web-presence. Now here's where my head-first blogging comes in.

Here I am, Susan Gee Heino--Blogger. I have a web-presence. Ta da! I've titled my blog after my darling manuscript and I'm going to journal here as I go through this fun, exciting, stressful head-rush leading up to the big RWA National Conference and the grand announcement of Golden Heart winners. That's on August 2nd, so I'll be at this for a few months at least. Hopefully I'll get better at it. They say you generally do get better at it the more you do it. I'm hoping that's true.

Pop in and say hi any time you like. I'll try to say hi back!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're a writer - really? Gee, I would have never guessed. I write songs, so I've learned to be short and sweet. Goodbye! Diane G